Mount Comfort Presbyterian Church
in the office of Marlon Blackwell Architect
Founded in 1828, Mount Comfort Presbyterian Church is the oldest church in Arkansas. The existing buildings, a sanctuary and a fellowship hall, are quintessential one-room, countryside structures. By 2004, the growing congregation had overwhelmed available space. In response, we worked with the congregation to design a new 12,000 SF sanctuary building. Though contemporary by design, the new structure echoed the vernacular of the one-room, white sanctuary building, sited just below the crest of a hill. The sanctuary was formed to admit natural light and provide controlled views of the countryside. A new minister’s suite was included, designed to pronounce her daily presence at the site. Beneath the sanctuary were classrooms and a large fellowship hall, spaces that opened to either side of the footprint via generous sunken courtyards.
To learn more about contemporary responses to vernacular architecture, contact us here.